Building on previous work by the European Commission and sectoral partners to address skills gaps in tourism, the NTG Alliance is one of the Sector Skills Alliances set up as part of the Blueprint for Sectoral Cooperation on Skills. Each Sector Skills Alliance is funded by the European Commission Erasmus + KA2 programme and was tasked with setting up a Blueprint to help direct the way forward for skills development across a wide range of stakeholders.
Based on their involvement in sectors covered by the tourism ecosystem, the main stakeholders are businesses, higher education institutions and Vocational Education Training (VET) Providers , social partners, government, and other skills based organisations such as quality assurance agencies, trade associations, private training providers
The Blueprint consists of several key elements and associated tools (highlighted below), to support skills development and identify skills gaps for employers, employees, students and training organisations. The Blueprint takes a solutions-focused approach to addressing skills needs within the tourism and hospitality industry in a coherent and coordinated way.
- The NTG Skills Assessment Methodology (SAM) aims to help government departments and major employers to continuously and longitudinally identify, assess, and monitor skills needs.
- The NTG Tourism Sector Skills Toolkit provides a practical tool for industry and education providers to offer innovative, flexible and relevant learning and training methods within the core areas of digital, green and social skills.
- The NTG Skills Matrix, is a flexible international careers platform and competency skills database to help support training development. The technical version is available as the Online Skills Matrix.
- The NTG Skills LAB builds on the Skills Matrix to create a wider series of practical functionalities to assess skills gaps for end-users including employers, employees, HR professionals, trainers, students, universities, local authorities and companies.
- The Quality Skills Standards Framework explains and illustrates the different national organisations working to support quality standards and integrating new skills into training & educational curricula. This will help stakeholders to recognize the key factors, which influence the integration of new skills content and quality skills delivery for education institutions and industry training providers.